Desired Qualification: Graduate/ B.E./ B.Tech
Desired experience: 2 – 5 years
The full details of the advertisement are given here.
So what should a prospective candidate analyze from this information? Here a peek:
- It’s about the subscription pay wall design and how it is implemented around the world, so it’s a very specific role
- Competitive research is very important, the depth of research will depend on the type of report generated and the audience
- Website launch is another key requirement, so this role will probably be less important after 6-9 months
Here are some insights on the role based on the advertisement:
- Its more about business analysis and launch and not product design. MBA from any good college will be useful
- A very junior level role, compensation will probably be between 4-8 lpa
- It is possible to grow from this role in to more customer facing roles, such as business development or partner management
- The role requires little to no technical knowledge, basic smartness and research skills are important
- The role does not report into engineering leadership, so a software engineer may not fit this role
- You can expect good opportunities in the job market after this, in online advertising and media
- Monetization and content management will be other product management roles that are part of the same team
- Times of India is a great brand in any résumé, and will be a strong plus for career growth
- Marketing skills are important, but cross functional co-ordination or project management is not.
Disclaimer: I have a lot of respect for Times Internet and their website, timesofindia.com. This post is only provided to prospective PMs to show how to interpret job ads for product managers
If you have applied/joined somewhere for a web PM role similar to this, then drop me a comment, and we can discuss the same.