The complete JD is available from their website, and these are the 2 main roles in product management advertised. Myntra.com is one of India’s largest e-commerce websites and their offices are located in HSR Layout, Bangalore.
Desired Qualification:Engineering degree from a good college; Having an MBA is a plus
Desired experience: 8 – 10 years
Here are some points to consider regarding the role and the firm:
- This ad has been on their website for about 6 months now.
- The years of experience desired, and qualifications such as engineering from a good college mean that this will be a relatively high paying job, but that will depend on the interview, experience and other factors. You can probably expect compensation between 8-15 lpa.
- A person with “deep knowledge of ERP” is usually a specialist in that role. Such a person is extremely unlikely to have strong Usability and UI design knowledge. Neither will he have full product management experience.
- They are looking for people who have undergone multiple releases as product managers in 3-4 years. It is very rare in India, especially given the slowdown that occurred after 2008. Offshore enterprise product managers will probably not fit in this, even though they are the most likely candidates with relevant experience.
- Someone who has worked for several years in software development, and has implementation or design exposure to ERP packages in an engineering role will be a good fit.
- The designation says “Senior Product Manager” however, normally it is the work of a “senior business analyst” to design, customize and deploy an ERP package. This designation is normal, as candidates are more attracted to the “product manager” designation.
- They are not specifically looking for candidates from other e-commerce firms.
- Operations and Finance will be the key stakeholders, along with engineering and senior management.
- The marketing team interaction mentioned is unlikely to occur, given this is a product for interal users.
- An MBA from a top college is unlikey to add value in the role, it may increase the salary offered. Total compensation is unlikely to be more than 15-16 lakhs per annum. Most e-commerce companies in India are struggling for growth & profitability and profit margins dictate employee salaries and perks.
- Growth after this role will probably be to a larger organization in the e-commerce space or an IT consultancy firm working in the e-commerce vertical. PMs working on UX and front end will have a greater opportunity to work on new initiatives.
- I have not discussed the BI/Analytics role, as normally it is about obtaining and processing data for creating reports, dashboards and presentations on usage trends and customer insights.
Disclaimer: I have a lot of respect for myntra.com. This post is only provided to prospective PMs to help them to interpret job ads for product managers
If you have applied/joined somewhere for a web PM role similar to this, then drop me a comment, and we can discuss the same.