Druva Software has a job posting for a product manager on LinkedIn. This was created today, and it looks like one of the least informative job ads you can come across. However, Druva is one of the rare technology product startups in India, which also has good traction in the market, so it makes sense to understand the job requirements.
Here is some more information:
Location: Pune, India
Designation: Product Manager
Job Description: Drive product development – from conception to launch – at the #1 Endpoint backup company
The ad vaguely describes the role and responsibilities and ends with a description of Druva. However, you can consider the following points while applying for the role.
- This is an offshore enterprise product management role, with some exposure to the Indian market.
- The total work experience expected is not more than 5 years. So the salary offered would not be more than Rs. 6-8 lakhs (considering that Pune is a Tier 2 city), and Rs. 10 lakhs at the high end.
- Only 1-2 years of actual product management experience is expected from candidates. As the company operates in a niche segment, you can apply with any enterprise product management background. Domain expertise is probably not important.
- This is a very junior role and the work will be equivalent to that done by IT Business Analysts. Use case development and visual design will be useful skills here.
- Druva had their 2nd round of funding in the middle of 2011, and they have launched few products since then. Do not expect to lead any product launches there initially.
- The work could be mainly about enhancements to existing products and might include competitive analysis and market research.
- Fresh MBAs and Senior software engineers can consider this position favorably. A top college MBA will probably be overkill, someone from Tier 2 MBA colleges or an engineering degree and a background in storage technologies will fit better here.
- Since it’s a startup do not expect much career growth unless the firm grows substantially or is acquired. You can leverage this to join a larger technology firm later. However, you will have to spend a minimum of 3 years in this firm to get a good salary and a track record in product management. Otherwise you could move to a client facing or a solution sales role within the firm.
Disclaimer: I have a lot of respect for druva.com. This post is only provided to prospective PMs to help them to interpret job ads for product managers