The complete JD is available on the link above. In December 2012, they had hired Ramkumar Narayanan, VP Product Management, Yahoo!, as the GM for their India center, so their focus is shifting to Bangalore. Should be an exciting time to join them.
Desired Qualification: Long list of experience, capabilities and personality traits listed in the ad
Desired Experience: Not mentioned
Here are some points to consider about the role and the firm:
- This looks like a new, senior level role in their eBay India Center of Excellence.
- The ad mentions the job title as Director, Product Management 1 – Tech. so it is definitely for someone with a strong product engineering background.
- Networking skills and industry reputation will be the key to getting an interview for this role.
- Based on data available on glassdoor.com and other internet sources, the typical salary for this role should be more than 45 lpa CTC. This would exclude RSU/Stock Grant/ESOPS or other bonuses. The ceiling could be a total package of Rs. 65-70 lakhs all inclusive for a very, very good candidate.
- Roadmapping is a key requirement for this role, and hence someone with an MBA and many years of product management experience should be an ideal fit.
- The role will involve building and grooming a team of product managers. Given that such roles typically go to people with an MS/MBA from a top school in the US and significant US work experience, the product managers hired later would likely have a similar profile.
- You can expect ads for junior level product managers once this position is filled out.
- India engineering, US senior management and India leadership team will be the key stakeholders.
- This role is unlikely to carry P&L responsibility for a product line, but would probably focus more on building the product management competency in India.
- Growth after this role could be to another organization in the e-commerce space or an IT consultancy or strategy firm. Or you could join a startup as a CEO, CXO etc.
Disclaimer: I have a lot of respect for Ebay.com. This post is only provided to prospective PMs to help them to interpret job ads for product managers
If you have applied/joined somewhere for a web PM role similar to this, then drop me a comment, and we can discuss the same.