There is a job ad in the US for a Product Manager – Mobile Advertising. Similar to that, there is another job ad on Linkedin for a Senior Product Manager/Director in India. Here are some points to consider about both ads.
- Both ask for prior relevant experience. The US ad mentions Mobile Ad Network and Data Analytics specifically, the Indian ad mentions nothing specific which makes it harder to understand the role.
- The US ad talks mainly about functional capabilities. The Indian ad specifically mentions Interpersonal, Leadership, Core Product Management and Technical skills, which indicates that they are looking for a fairly senior person.
- The US ad does not mention the advertiser, but says that the compensation will be based on experience. The Indian ad is for Pubmatic, a firm started in 2006.
- Neither ad mentions team size. The US position is for Boston, MA and the Indian position is for Pune.
- Pubmatic is open to hiring either Senior Product Manager or Director, however, the former role has no direct reportees. The US firm is only looking for individual contributors.
The ad for the US based opportunity is fairly specific about the requirements. So it will collect fewer responses, but the ones they get will be pertinent. Since the ad is about a very specific role in the ad industry, career growth will occur if the person becomes highly skilled at his job and gains more domain expertise.
Pubmatic has actually provided a good and detailed job ad. However, it lists a lot of traits and qualifications, so they will have a lot of irrelevant resumes. Hence the chances of getting shortlisted in India even with relevant experience are correspondingly lower. And it is extremely unlikely that you will be interviewed unless you are known to senior people within the firm or have strong brands in your resume (IIT, Stanford, Google, Yahoo! etc). Additionally, perception management will be very important in this role for career growth. To apply for a role in India, I would definitely search on Linkedin to identify how many PMs Pubmatic has hired and released in the past few years.